I posted at the last check-in about being caught in a Temporal Rift, and an epiphany that might help me get myself out of it.
That epiphany came during an excellent DIY-MFA* webinar, where Gabriela Peirera talked about goal-setting as climbing a mountain.
It occurred to me that I’m trying to climb an entire mountain RANGE – all at once!
Umm…yeah. That’s not gonna work.
So a few of these mountains need to go. It’s time to shift my focus from trying to do All The Writing Things All The Time.
Over the rest of this round, I’ll be dropping some goals so I can focus more attention on others. I’ll also get to a “base camp” at one goal-mountain before I try to scale another. And I’ll be focusing a little more attention on taking time to relax and enjoy life.
Hopefully, that will help me get out of this temporal rift – and enjoy some lovely vistas at the summit of a mountain or two.
*P.S. DIY-MFA 101 is currently open for enrollment, with the next class kicking off Monday, May 13. I highly endorse not only the course, but the community that comes with it!
How many mountains are you trying to climb?
Does it feel like too few? Just enough? Too many?
Completed: 6/22; 27%
In Progress: 7/22; 32%
Still Waiting: 9/22; 41%
Completed: 0/4; 0%
In Progress: 3/4; 75%
Still Waiting: 1/4; 25%
I tend to the needs of my body, mind, and soul.
I devote one hour to physical activity five days weekly by the end of Round Two/Year Seven.
- I carry my phone with me when I am active to track my activity.
- I double the amount of time and/or steps from Week Two.
- I take a hike with my dog and invite the kids.
I devote ten minutes daily to mindfulness training by the end of Round Two/Year Seven.
- I do the One-Minute Meditation twice, and add She Let Go (a two-minute meditative poem) once, as I sit on my meditation cushions).
I implement Intuitive Eating Principles (https://www.intuitiveeating.org/10-principles-of-intuitive-eating/) by the end of Round Two/Year Seven.
- I read through all the Intuitive Eating worksheets.
Completed: 1/2; 50%
In Progress: 0/2; 0%
Still Waiting: 1/2; 50%
I create a home environment that sparks joy, nurtures creativity, and affords sanctuary.
I complete the 31 Day Love the Home You Have Challenge.
- I complete items 8-11 of my Challenge and take photos.
I complete one home maintenance task weekly (list to follow).
- I select and complete one item from the task list each week. Purchased a new cordless electric lawn mower BEFORE the yard turned into a meadow.
Completed: 1/4; 25%
In Progress: 2/4; 50%
Still Waiting: 1/4; 25%
I create a routine and streamlined systems that maximize return on investments of time, money, energy, and attention.
I complete the entire 12 Week Year goalsetting and accountability process.
- I conduct Weekly Accountability meeting with ReGi.
- I complete the 12 Week Commitments exercise.
I create an adaptable routine that accommodates all facets of my life.
- I create my Perfect Week and begin daily time-blocking.
I organize all email folders and OneDrive writing, hometending, and homeschool files.
- I conduct a twice-daily email pruning, using a dice-roll app to decide which folder to address, and how long I will devote to the process. This should feel fun, like a personal challenge.
- I attend to 3 actionable emails each session, until all backlogged messages have been addressed.
- I conduct once-weekly 11:11 organizing session for OneDrive writing files.
Completed: 1/3; 34%
In Progress: 2/3; 66%
Still Waiting: 0/3; 0%
I build a library of fiction and non-fiction material as I move toward a financially sustainable and personally meaningful writing career.
I complete Story a Day May.
- I decide on a theme for this year.
- I allocate a strategic block for story creation each day of May.
- I complete one rough draft story each day, to the posted prompt(s).
Completed: 1/7; 14%
In Progress: 0/7; 0%
Still Waiting: 6/7; 86%
I scaffold my writing career through current and new assignments, volunteering, platform building, and marketing.
I submit my three assigned freelance articles each month, and pitch two new freelance markets and five additional articles by the end of the round.
- I pitch my hometown tourism article to my current publisher.
- I submit request for payment of outstanding articles (4 in total).
- I choose four local events to attend during this round.
I volunteer for ROW80, JuNoWriMo, Pixels to Platform, and as a DIY-MFA 101 Ambassador.
- I update the ROW80 Facebook page with twice weekly update.
- I check in with my ROW80 Accountability Partner, Kathy Pulver, as we arrange.
I appear as requested/possible for Pub518 author/bookselling events, update my Patreon monthly, and produce a twice-monthly newsletter by the end of the round.
- I create a plan to appear regularly at Patreon and in followers’ email inboxes.
- I write and share an initial apology/update letter to my Patreon and newsletter followers because I disappeared for so long.
Completed: 2/2; 100%
In Progress: 0/2; 0%
Still Waiting: 0/2; 0%
I continue targeted learning which will advance my writing career.
I complete Pixels to Platform and DIY-MFA 101, and explore something from the DIY-MFA HUB weekly.
- I choose one DIY-MFA HUB webinar, interview, forum thread, or live call to explore each week, and follow through.
I finish lesson
s 6 a nd 7 of How to Revise Your Novel.
- I set a schedule to complete Lesson 6.
Want to be accountable for your personal writing (and other) goals?
Find us on Facebook, at our blog, and at the #ROW80 Twitter hashtag!