Welcome to Weekend Writing Warriors’
It’s the weekly hop for everyone who loves to write! We’ve got a variety of genres and talented writers just waiting for you to come sample their wordy wares. Come read one, or all!
If you’re inclined to share your own 8-10 sentence snippet, follow the link and sign up. It’s a great community to be a part of! =D
Confession Time: This post was listed as part of last week’s collection, but when I checked on it earlier in the week, I realized I’d forgotten to, you know, hit that “Schedule” button in my editor…so, a week belatedly, here it is!
“Monday Morning Coffee” has been with me since I was sixteen. A local boy with schizophrenia wandered away from his family at a large outdoor event. Several days later, he was found, deceased.
From that story came this one – the connection might not be clear to anyone but me – but it’s there.
Rose is at work on a Monday morning, exploring the gift given to her by a shabbily dressed man who occupies her mind.
My fingers explore the petals and then the stem – and stick again on the thorn. It’s a different texture than the rest of the creation, sturdier, and green-brown…
I bring the rose closer to my face, and take my magnifying lens from the top drawer, so that I can get a closer look.
The thorn is made of money.
“Not the twenty I gave you, Jeremy, please!” My whisper rasps through the quiet. I meant the money to offer him comfort; I don’t want it now, if it means that he’s hungry and cold.
I tug at it experimentally, and it pulls free of the sculpted rose, to lie in my hand. It’s not my twenty.
Where did Jeremy get the money?
Why did he use it to make the thorn?
What will Rose do next?
“Monday Morning Coffee” was originally published in the 2015 edition of World Unknown Review, Since I retain all rights beyond first publication, I intend to revise the story and use it as my initial self-published offering.
Another week…and, as I type this on Friday, I haven’t been much better at the visiting and answering comments thing…my only defense is that it’s been A WEEK.
Yup, all caps.
I won’t go into detail here, but, if you’re so inclined, you can read more about it here [#weekendcoffeeshare/#SoCS post]. Here’s the bullet list of highlights:
- Sunday: Farmer’s market; test drove and bought 2007 Subaru Forester.
- Monday: Paperwork; eclipse; picked up Forester; farmer’s market.
- Tuesday: Looked for second car; put down payment on 2005 Subaru Outback.
- Wednesday: 20th wedding anniversary; lovely dinner out.
- Thursday: Purchased business website for Chef Bluebeard; spent night in emergency room – husband with abdominal pain (suspected appendicitis; turned out to be gall bladder).
- Friday: Made reservations for midweek getaway in the fall; picked up Outback; dropped off Forester for repairs; packed Outback for weekend markets.
- Saturday: Market #1; workout; lunch out; shopping.