It’s a brand-new round, and I have a new focus on developing the professional side of my writing career. With that in mind, I’m drawing my Round 3 goals from my still-evolving writing business plan, which will guide my efforts throughout the next 18 months, at least.
I’m going to continue the approach I switched to in June – fewer, more targeted goals. I’ll work mostly on the priority goal for each category first, then the secondary, and then any stretch goals I may have set for that category.
At any given time, I’ll have no more than three major (intensive) projects, and five minor (less intense) projects in play. Gernerally, I’ll only have two major, and three minor, projects, which allows me to put my focus where I most need it.
July also marks the fourth and final month in my annual Chaostivity (renamed!) Marathon. In August, I’ll breathe a bit, before I begin my 3 month Chaostivity 10K in September.
Okay, that’s the scoop, so let’s get on with the goals, shall we?
- Kifo Island Series: Complete drafts of Still Nameless (Kifo Island #8) and The Last House (A Kifo Island prequel). Both novels are in progress. SN is my July #CampNaNoWriMo project current count 7,169; TLH was my April project; current count paused at 65,570. Will resume THL once SN is complete. Primary goal; on target.
- Trueborn Series: Complete draft of Foul Deeds Will Rise (Trueborn #2); This was my July 2018 CampNaNo project; paused at 86,840. Will resume once both Kifo novels are complete. Secondary goal.
- Blogposts: Complete all finite series begun during JuNoWriMo. I’ll have a better sense of what these are when I organize them in August; more details then. Stretch goal.
- Still Nameless (Kifo Island #8):Use a hybrid form of The Writer’s Coloring Book and The Story Toolkit to finish plotting this novel. I wanted to finish this before July started; instead, I’’m plotting on the fly while drafting. 18,891 plotting words; through Protagonist #2; Step 5/22 TST; just need to do coloring materials for TWCB. Primary goal; solid progress.
- Plot/outline blog posts as needed to complete the drafting goal above. I have enough material in development to carry me through maybe a dozen or so additional posts. Secondary goal.
Holly Lisle’s How to Revise Your Novel: Spend 50 hours revising “On Any Tuesday Night.” Start once Still Nameless Act One Beat Sheet is complete. Rather than set a goal by lesson, I’m trying a time goal. Primary goal.
Blogposts: Revise blogposts for use through November 2017. This will be a larger focus once CampNaNo ends. Secondary goal.
Sea Changes (Kifo Island #1): Organize the manuscript – one of the cats dumped it. Make a decision regarding sharing it with critique group, or waiting to run it through HTRYN. I’ve been revising this in my former manner, but that may be a wasted effort, since I’m learning a much better method. Stretch goal.
“Miss Spider and Mister Fly”: Complete any details/authorize copy edits needed for publication. Currently waiting to hear back from the copy editor; should be soon. Primary goal.
Read guidelines and sketch rough ideas for all projects I’d like to submit in 2017. I’m evaluating what/if I’ll be submitting this fall; developing ideas if so. Secondary goal.
Explore Duotrope; compile list of 25 paying short story/novella markets. Research these; choose ten to pursue further. This is pretty self-explanatory. Stretch goal.
Blogging: Polish/package/schedule/publish relevant blogposts to return to /maintain regular blogging schedule, and prepare for November NaNoWriMo. I’m planning something a little special for this fall….stay tuned! Primary goal.
Other Platforms: Create a cohesive brand across my Facebook Writer page; Pinterest, Patreon, and Instagram. The goal is to connect these disparate platforms in a way that allows people to find me across them in a gentle, non-pushy way.
Explore other avenues: Twitter (#writingcrew and #AllStarTrek sprints/chats); LinkedIn; Medium; Quora; and Wattpad). There are so many fascinating places to explore…. Stretch goal.
Complete my writing business plan using this excellent article by Angela Ackerman as a guide; begin enacting it. Step 4/7 in progress from June. Primary goal.
- Refine labeling/branding/platform/marketing for my Accomplice, and branding for myself; complete the PicMonkey branding tutorial for both ventures. Discussed posting, signage, and sales. Secondary goal; great progress.
Hometending: Spend 30 minutes at least 5x/week in mindful cleaning and/or yardtending; draft kids’ 2017-2018 IHIPs (Individualized Home Instruction Plans) and complete testing submission and reporting; deal with subscriptions and other business that tends to get pushed aside. Hometending: 1/5. Lise testing completed; Miah in progress.
Selftending: Spend time with my beloveds, friends, and myself; get at least one hour of physical activity 5x/week, and two hours of strenuous activity weekly (including Baby Steps to 5K); meditate and journal 8x/week. Meditation/journaling 2/8. Complete Gwen’s 30 Day Selfie Challenge. Activity 1/5; 27 Min/2 hours strenuous. This is a means to an end; I’m learning to overcome early conditioning against admiring/ “bragging on” myself. It’s a simple challenge; take a selfie to a prompt, every day. Stretch goal.
finish June books;2 each for July-September. Audiobooks; Finish June book; one each for July-September. and The Star Trek Chronology Project Episodes 281: Redemption Part 1 – 320: Past Prologue: Crank It Out: COMPLETED. 20K a Day: 21%. Upside: Chapter 7/9 complete.