Or did you undertake a personal challenge of some type?
For me, April has come to mean two separate writing challenges: April CampNaNoWriMo, for which I drafted one novel, and began another; and
This post is my entry into the A-Z Reflections Blog Hop. Admittedly, I’m breathing down the neck of being late – posts are meant to be up no later than today, and, where I am, today’s got less than two hours left…
Maybe that’s fitting…
I seemed to spend most of the month scrambling to keep up.
It wasn’t intentional. I had my idea a year ahead; I meant to set things up well ahead of time…but then life happened…
Along about the fall, my father-in-law invited us to come visit our Oregon family, and we decided to go in mid-February. There was plenty to be done, in addition to life. I had other projects: a poetry challenge in October, NaNoWriMo in November…and then the holidays come and go, and it’s a new year, and details are being set for a mid-February cross-continental journey, and all the preparation that went with it.
- And I had a January challenge, and a February one – and then we were gone, and every day of our vacation was filled with life – but not so much writing. Internet access was spotty, and my focus was even more so. I got behind on my challenge when I couldn’t post.
- We had a blistering flight change in Chicago- less than 45 minutes, with no departing gate announced, and, when we learned it, we discovered that we were to descend 3 levels, use the moving staircase to traverse the length of the terminal, then go up three levels…we barely made the flight.
- On the day we were to head home, sitting in the airport 20 minutes before boarding the plane, I learned that Leonard Nimoy had died that morning. That might not seem like a big deal for many people – but try typing Leonard Nimoy or Spock on the search bar on the right…you’ll get a little idea of my grief.
- We got home, and there was a round of head colds -and then my laptop power adaptor failed. Since it’s a Lenovo, and was under warranty, a new one could be sent from Texas – where there was bad weather slowing transit.
By the time everything was ready again, I was far behind- in blogging, and in planning the novel I meant to begin on April 1.
Oh, and it was already mid-March.
So I started the month far behind where I hoped to be. I had the first two days’ worth scheduled, when I wanted the whole month stacked up and ready to go…
I spent the month never quite falling behind, but never quite getting ahead, either…
It was more chaotic than I’d hoped – and the kids and I had a four day trip to visit out of state friends near the end of the month, which meant four days of less than normal writing…and two five hour drives for me.
And I was writing novels at the same time.
I didn’t get around to visit nearly as many other A-Zers as I wanted to. I hit a couple of frustrating dead ends, trying to visit people, and found several blogs I would have loved to have visited more often than I managed.
Yes, I got the posts done, and I enjoyed my travel theme, revisiting the early days of marriage, when my Accomplice and I worked in national parks and explored the country in our off time. I allowed myself to delve, to dream, to draw connections, and to share..
I hope I offered something of value; something that made the visit worthwhile.
Sometimes, though, challenges are more about seeing what we didn’t quite get right, and how we can fix it.
So, for next year’s challenge?
- I already have my topic (no, I’m not telling -you’ll have to wait for next March to learn that!).
- I have a list with a few post concepts for letters A-I.
- I’m adding three letters every day or two.
- Once I’ve gotten through the alphabet, I’ll start developing my ideas into posts, and choose a finalist for each letter.
- I plan to be finished with my drafting by the end of the year, and finished with scheduling posts by the end of February.
- As for visiting, I do plan to visit more A-Z posts during the coming weeks. I might also get brave enough to volunteer as a minion for 2016, to ensure I visit more folks, in a more timely manner, next year.
If you’re an A-Z poster who’d like a visit, drop me a comment with a link, and I’ll drop by! =D