Outside In; Inside Out
What do you see when you look at me?
Or is it presumptuous of me to think
That you notice me at all?
I am, after all, what might be called
“Past My Prime”
If you are the type to judge others
On such a trivial matter as appearance.
My voluptuous youth has settled,
Fatigued from long years of fighting gravity
Gravity, eventually, will win.
I am becoming what is sometimes called
With polite dismissal,
You might notice that my untamed hair
Tousled and twisting into rampant curls
Is woven and shot through, now
With coarser silver, honestly earned.
I do not wear makeup
And so do nothing to disguise the
age spot lakes and deepening creeks
formed of laugh lines and crow’s feet
Changing the geography of my face
Making it perhaps more interesting
But no longer my culture’s
Perception of beauty.
If you should follow the map of my face
Up to the twin geyser pools of my eyes
Sparkling with light, life and fire
You might get a peek into my soul
And who I am within, in my hidden depths.
Those lines and crow’s feet
Which do not know wrinkle cream
Are the outward sign of a life
Spent more in laughter than in scowls.
This wild hair is a perfect fit
For an untamed, unbound spirit
Symbiotically part of the golden fall grass
The thickening curves and settling plains
Echoing the shape of the rolling hills
I am a being more attached to nature
Than to the the city skyscape
More interested by far in the
depths and breadth of the inner life
Than in how others my see this outer shell
That conceals universes and subatomic
Particles of my being.
- Beneath Visibility – OctPoWriMo, Oct.27, 2012 (shanjeniah.com)
- Wheel Spins – OctPoWriMo, Oct. 24 (shanjeniah.com)
- I Ask No Forgiveness – OctPo WriMo, Oct. 26 (shanjeniah.com)
- Last Night, We Laughed – OctPoWriMo, Oct.13 (shanjeniah.com)
- Wild Origins – OctPoWriMo, Oct. 28, 2012 (shanjeniah.com)
- Embracing Presence – OctPoWriMo, Oct. 19, 2012 (shanjeniah.com)
- Unfettered Wordplay (Etheree) – OctPoWriMo, Oct. 20, 2012 (shanjeniah.com)
- Autumn in the Sky – OctPoWriMo, Oct. 15, 2012 (shanjeniah.com)